Effective July 1, 2019, CDA will no longer support ICA software older than version 3 for Windows computers. The current version is 4.1. Offices using Windows computers will need to ensure their ITRANS ICA Software is version 3 or newer to be able to continue sending CDAnet e-claims. The current version is 4.1. This does…
What is ITRANS 2.0?
ITRANS 2.0 is an upgrade in the way the existing CDA ITRANS Claims Service works. New features related to sending dental benefit claims securely on the internet include:
- You or your staff can sign in to the CDA Practice Support Services website and see the claim messages from your office—this can be a big help if there are issues with a claim transmission.
- The CDA help desk staff will have improved information to assist with identifying claim transmission issues.
- ITRANS 2.0 has stronger data privacy controls. The help desk staff will no longer see patient or plan member information. They will request the claim message “office sequence number” (not the patient’s name) to identify a claim in the system.
- ITRANS 2.0 will not have service disruptions since claims will travel directly to the insurance company.
- Improved error and issue reporting—the goal is overall system improvements to increase the number of claims you can send electronically.
- Once advanced features of ITRANS 2.0 are integrated by your software vendor, insurance company information will be updated automatically. This will mean you will always be up to date with insurance company information.
How does ITRANS 2.0 work?
ITRANS 2.0 is a new software program that needs to be installed on the office computer that sends CDAnet dental benefit claims. All claim messages are processed with this software. This software does two main things:
1. Determines which network to use for sending the claim using updated information from CDA.
2. Removes the personal information of the patient and the plan member (called “de-identification”) and securely sends the claim to CDA for use by the help desk and reporting. Responses to claim messages you receive also go through the ITRANS software and are also de-identified and sent to CDA.
Are there any data privacy security risks I should be concerned about?
ITRANS 2.0 has been designed with privacy as a priority to minimize any risks. Identifiable patient information is only transmitted to the insurance company. All the de-identified information is stored at secure data centres, fully encrypted, and always located in Canada.
What about my information as the transmitting dentist?
The dentist and office information in claim messages is stored for 60 days for use by the help desk and the CDA Practice Support Services website to view claim transmission issues. The information kept longer for reporting has the dentist and dental office information de-identified. This means you and your office cannot be identified within the information kept for reporting. The de-identified information will be used to monitor the CDAnet e-claims system. It will also be used for reporting on the dental services provided across Canada. These reports will not identify any individual dentist or dental office.
Does anything change for the office with sending claims?
With ITRANS 2.0, sending claims will continue to function as it normally does. However, when you want to verify a problem with a claim transmission, the CDA help desk will have better information to help you. Or, now you can choose to sign on to the Practice Support Services website (https://services.cda-adc.ca) to review your transmitted claims and received responses.
As the dentist, what is my role in processing claims with ITRANS 2.0?
Do patients need to consent to any of the ITRANS 2.0 changes?
There is no additional consent required for ITRANS 2.0. CDA has undertaken an extensive privacy review for ITRANS 2.0 and the conclusion was that because the de-identification employed follows the highest standards and enables dentists to comply with privacy provisions such as “data minimization”, this “pro-privacy” activity is not one that requires consent. Once the claims messages have been de-identified, consent for their use for activities such as the help desk and reporting is not required.
However, please keep in mind that the existing CDAnet consent that patients are required to sign for you to transmit their claims electronically has not changed and is still required. These consents are available in the CDAnet Dental Office User Guide.
How do I have ITRANS 2.0 installed at my office?
ITRANS 2.0 is installed by your dental office software vendor. Contact your vendor to schedule the upgrade.
If you have other questions about ITRANS 2.0, please send them to us at email@example.com.
Please note the following dates and hours of operation during the Christmas holidays: December 25, 2018: Closed December 26, 2018: Closed December 27, 2018: CDA PSS Help Desk: 9am to 5pm ET December 28, 2018: CDA PSS Help Desk: 9am to 5pm ET December 31, 2018: CDA PSS Help Desk: 9am to 5pm ET…
The version 18.104.22.168 of the Windows ITRANS Communication Application (iCA), has been released.